Sunday, April 7, 2013

Jackpot savings Extreme Room Makeover Edition, April 7th!

My son is in his room!  We are just waiting on the carpet so we moved his bed in there so he can at least have his own space again.  Fingers crossed that the carpet will be installed this week.  Note: if you are getting carpet and want it in a timely manner, I would recommend first asking where the carpet comes from before ordering it.  Home Depot gets their carpet from Delaware!!!!  So it takes over a week just to ship.

This bed was Ryan's as a child, his parents let us have it.  It was repainted, it will also have drawers but we are letting them dry a little longer before putting them in.  Ausin loves two things: orange and Mickey.  So that is our room concept.  Mickey comforter sets go for over $90, so instead, I spent $50 on fabric to make a tie fleece bed spread.  There is enough leftover to make two square throw pillows which I will work on next weekend.  The navy blue sheets he already had and my sister in law made him a Mickey pillow case and throw blanket that he's had for a few years already.
 Purchased two wood frames for $4 each and painted them white.  JoAnn's had cotton fabric that matched the fleece design so I got 2 yards of it for about $12 to use for anything else to tie the room all together.  Placed the fabric on the frame back and placed vinyl stickers on top of the fabric.  The stickers are from a large set that I got for $10 at Kohl's, so there are several leftover to place around the room.
Used spray adhesive to attach some of the fabric to a cork board that was $10 at Walmart.  I also got an $8 white board that will be mounted to the wall by his desk.  My decor budget was $200 so I have $74 left to get a white desk (checking out craigslist/consignment places) and get a shadow box with a Michael's coupon to put his Mickey ear hat from Disneyland and other memorbilia.  Ryan is going make two Mickey head silhouettes and paint them black to put on one wall.  

Other savings this week....
It was the LDS General Conference, so we stayed home most of the weekend and enjoyed watching conference on TV. I left once to run an errand on Saturday and Ryan went to the priesthood session at the church that night.  He went to an activity with some guys afterward, so I enjoyed listening to my Lady Antebellum station on Pandora while I finished the fleece tie blanket after the baby went to bed.

We did eat out this week, once with family in town who treated us and we covered the tip and one night did take out because I had stayed late at work.  Austin was good all week, so he wanted to go to Taco Bell.  He likes the Dorito's tacos!  I took him there for an early dinner Friday afterschool then he got to go to JoAnn's to pick out his fabric.

I cooked 4 chicken breasts in the crockpot, shredded it and used it in stir fry Saturday night, made chicken noodle soup for Sunday night, and made 6 2 oz baggies of it to make chicken wraps for my work lunches.  

I took the leftover chicken soup and pureed it in the blender to freeze into baby food cubes for the baby to try some meat which yielded 24 cubes.  I also made baby food peaches 16 servings for $2.48.

Made a batch of granola bars and 4 large loaves of french bread.

Trimmed my own bangs and waxed my facial hair.

Ryan cut his hair and Austin's this week. 

I made a sugar scrub with 2 1/2 c sugar, 1 c olive oil, and 5 T lemon juice (yes, it's from Pinterest).  Shaved then exfoliated with this stuff and now my chunky stubbs are the smoothest in town!



No comments:

Post a Comment